Wednesday, February 02, 2005

McDonalds encourages sandwich fucking.

I read this on the SA forums. Thought this would be interesting. Ill copy the letter written to McDonalds from the forums, I didn't write it.

-----------------------------------------

If you haven't been watching the forums for the past few days, you might have missed goon astronautism's thread
"McDonalds fails at hip teen lingo, advocates sandwich fucking". If so, you should go read it; hilarious sandwich-sex-related puns ensue. Those of you who were following the story might remember that I sent a carefully-crafted letter explaining the situation to what I assumed would be the McDonalds Automatic Reply Robot in a sardonic manner. For convenience, the letter is below:

quote:

To whom it may concern:
I've recently noticed a new ad campaign you appear to have launched on the internet (I noticed it here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index on ESPN's page). This campaign is rather distressingbecause it bears a phrase most would find comical, if not offensive. The ad reads "Double Cheeseburger?" and then follows with "I'd hit it!". Apparently, your robotic advertising machine got fed this phraseout of the many "hip" terms used by today's youth and improperly identified it as an expression of interest and delight.And, well, it is...but not in the way you might hope. In most circles, "I'd hit that!" is generally synonymous with "I'd fornicate with that!" (in even unkinder terms than that, I'm afraid). Furthermore,the term is usually used in a sarcastic manner for laughs at the object's expense. Take, for example, the following exchange:"Hey, there's Belinda Higgins, the 500lb paraplegic!""Dude, I'd hit that!"So even if your advertising agency was advocating burger-fucking, they'd be suggesting that your Double Cheeseburger is in reality a freakish abomination in the world of burgers and should never, underany circumstances, be "hit". I hope you understand the gravity of the situation. I mean, "I'm lovin' it" is one thing, but you have to draw the line somewhere.


I sent that off to their advertising comment department and expected that would be the last of it, particularly considering the less-than-formal tone I adopt later on in the letter. It turns out that this world is full of surprises. In my inbox this morning I received this:

quote:

Hello (SenorGringo):
Thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's about one of our advertisements.We're sorry you were disappointed with this ad. We take pride in producing advertising messages that will be enjoyed. We certainly never intended for it to offend anyone. Your comments have been shared with our advertising staff and independent advertising agency who work together to develop our commercials. Please know your feedback is helpful and will be considered in the future planning of our advertising.Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Your trust and confidence in our company's tradition of producing high quality advertising are important to us.
Jennifer
McDonald's Customer Satisfaction Department

--------------------------------------
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA


No comments: