Wednesday, September 14, 2005

old books

Something is wrong with my winamp I swear. I keep having to put the volume back at 100% everytime I open it, for some reason it doesn't save the settings or something?? Anyway, on with the real post.

I got these old books, some were published in 1964, and when I smell them it reminds me of when I was a little kid. Odd. But yeah, old books are great you know? They aren't story books or anything, they are Time-Life books, mostly on random topics I picked out, like Solar System, The Cell, and Oceans. Basically, like an encyclopedia.
Did you know it was more then three centuries ago when Robert Hooke, of London, while observing slices of cork, saw that they were made up with some sort of honeycomb pattern type structures, that he first coined the name "cell"? Huh?? Did YOU?!
Yeah I found that intersting. Geeez all this info in this book, I'd probably have to find like a dozen sites to get this much information. Okay maybe. Man, I seriosuly wonder how life was without computers. No interent, no msn, and worst of all, no no no pooornnnn. But I guess it also had its ups. NO spam, no Microsoft, no Internet Explorer, and most of all, no no no gay pooornnnn.

Anyway, all I really wanted to do was post two pictures I scanned from a book. I liked the pictures, did I mention these books have great pictures? Actually, practically all books have great pictures. I bet it feels pretty nice for a photographer who gets asked premission to publish his/her work. Without further ado.

rain
"Sheets of monosoonborne rain drench villagers on Borneo. The seasonal monsoons deposit some 120 inches of rain on the island each year, sustaining one of the world's great rain forests."

meteor_shower
"A meteor shower graces the night flight of a manned balloon over France in November 1867. Rising above pollution and clouds, balloons provided excellent vantage points for astronomers."

No comments: